Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Immigrant Day


Our immigrants boarding the ship for America

 Some comments from today's experience.

"I learned that they checked the immigrants' eyes with a buttonhook, and they marked you with chalk."  Virginia
"I liked learning about the inspections."
Phoebe
"I learned that immigrants were clumped into a small space on the boat." Alejandra
"Some of the immigrants in the hospital called the nurses ladies in white." Parker
"I never knew they were so crammed together on the boat."  Sheppard
"They came to America to get a job
and make money." Anna
"Most people would live in a part of the city where
people spoke their native language."  Sarah
"I did not know that girls had to have hair
to get into America!"  Archer
"It's really amazing to know that so many people came from so many other places." Taylor
"I learned that people could only bring a few things.  They brought stuff to remind them of their families, and some people died on the boat because they got sick."
"I did not know that they looked at passports; they waited in long lines to get on the ship."  Cappy
"I learned about the clothes that immigrants from different countries wore." Parrish

"What did their teacher learn...that she has fabulous students, whom, even in May, still rise to the occasion, and love the process of learning new things.  Incredible day!  What else does she know...that she doesn't know how to embed videos! There is another video at the end of this, and actually, there is still another, so stay tuned."   Pam Roberts







































No comments:

Post a Comment